Skip to main content

The Book Bit: November 2016 Ed.

Not writing from my usual spot on the couch today; I'm actually home for the holidays!  Yep, left the kiddo at my parents house, stuffed my laptop in my bag and came to a fave coffee shop that I frequented during my college years.  It actually is a little nice, coming back to this old comfort that college memories give me.  Of course, the actual workload of college never sparks any fondness, but all the other stuff does; and being back in the town where I spent four years extending my education always makes me a little nostalgic.  So, no #blogtunes today, instead I'm soaking up the sounds of coffee being made, computers humming and some light chit chat between friends.  Loads better.

  You all remember last month was my horror edition; a tip of the hat to Halloween, and I mentioned that this month would (jokingly) be filled with young adult books.  So, it wasn't a joke, I actually did read all young adult this month; completely by accident!  Seriously, put the numbers in my randomizer and it spit out not only one YA title, but three.  So, I did what I always do and read them.  Let's get started.

"Gone, Gone, Gone" by Hannah Moskowitz

  This book was so sweet; that's seriously the best way to describe it.  Let me just come out, full disclosure, this is a gay YA.  I'm not even sure if that's the PC term, but it's what I'm going with and it was wonderful.  You know how every story has a beginning, a peak and an ending?  This book is all peak, all the meat of the book.  It is short and an easy read because you just simply can't disconnect from it. We meet Craig and Lio in the midst of high school, when dating is hard enough let alone having to deal with being gay.  In a post 9/11 D.C. area, these kids are surrounded by a serial sniper shooter while they work through the issues of coming together.  Lio, having a past so riddled with sadness that even his therapist says he's "a little fucked up" searches for love in Craig who is dealing with his first broken heart and the earth crushing feelings that accompany losing your first love.  This book is set not long after 9/11, maybe a year, and hearing that youth voice of dealing with it was quite wonderful; and you get that whole "invincible teenager" complex that we all had at that age; which also made it an interesting read.  You won't regret reading this little love story.

"Exit, Pursued by a Bear" by E.K. Johnston

Ok, so, so good.  In my very humble opinion.  This book addresses a subject we so very rarely discuss, actually we tend to avoid it because it makes us uncomfortable; rape.  We follow Hermoine Winters as she begins her senior summer at cheer camp, finally as head cheerleader.  And I know what you're thinking; ugh, a cheerleader book.  It's not what you think, I promise.  It opens on the first day of cheer camp and Hermoine has her whole future ahead of her, all those butterflies of starting senior year and the unpaved road ahead.  Until one night, someone drugs her punch at a get-together and changes her life forever.  We live the aftermath of her attack as she struggles to put her life together and get back those few hours, such vital hours, back.  And Johnston, in the acknowledgments section (does anybody else read those?) openly admits she wrote in a very strong friend, Polly, to help Hermoine navigate, but that most victims feel very isolated and unreachable and that's what leads to overly destructive behavior and in a lot of cases, suicide.  Have your eyes opened as Hermoine regains her life back and struggles as she realizes she wasn't the only one who's life was changed that night, even though she was the one attacked.  Such an interesting read, men, women, boys and girls alike should all read this book.

"Sever" by Lauren DeStefano

  This is book three of the "Chemical Garden Trilogy" (yes, I finished another series, finally!) I never wrote a review for the first book, but the review for the second book, Fever, can be found here.  So we finally get that nice closure that we're always looking for in a finale book.  As I mentioned in the review for Fever, it was sort of blah, but despite the negative reviews for this book, it delivered for me.  All the doors were shut, everything rectified, and that's what I want in a third book.  We follow Rhine as she searches for her brother and for Gabriel and escaping the tangled web that is Housemaster Vaughn.  We meet some new and interesting key characters and find some answers behind the deadly virus that plagues every person born to live a shortened lifespan.  There is love, death, heartbreak and lots of tears (at least for me), but this series worked for me.  I found another trilogy she wrote and I've already added it to the list to explore (you guys know I can't resist a good series!)  This is an dystopian YA you'll want to pick up at your library asap.


That's all for this month!  I hope you found something new to read.  Btw, I read a bonus book this month, one I've read maybe five times, but hadn't thought about in awhile.  "Dreamland" by Sarah Dessen; another YA, but equally wonderful.  As if I don't recommend enough as it is!  Don't forget to like, follow, subscribe and share!  Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p