Skip to main content

The Book Bit: April 2016 ed.

  April.  Wow, wow, April.  It came and went so quickly and my schedule looked like a mad man came in and scribbled all over it.  We were busy.  So busy in fact that I only got to read two books this past month!  Two!  Oh, the travesty!

  But, in all fairness, did you see the size of the Kostova book?!  It's huge!  It should count for two reads due to the sheer size of it.

  April's choices were rather odd, but humorously in the same genre: romance!  Oh, how I love me a good romance.  "Snow Melts in Spring" was actually written by a relative (well... sort of a relative.  By marriage.  Or something.) and given to me by my great Aunt.  The Kostova book was a gift from another book worm friend of mine which she found at the greatest little discount bookshop in the area.  Seriously, they let you have a running tab; goodbye grocery money!

  Needless to say, it was odd they fell in the same genre and that they came to me almost at the same time; they could not be more different from each other.  Let us review.



"Snow Melts in Spring", Deborah Vogts

  This book is technically categorized as a Christian romance novel.  And let it be said that Christian romance is apparently not my thing.  I could not wait to get through this book, because there just wasn't a whole lot of physical business happening.  I know, I know; a romance does not have to be all about sex!  I absolutely know that; however, there was maybe only a few kisses in the entire book and some hand holding.  Not really enough to keep me ripping the pages away.

  And, she had this great opportunity at the beginning of the book to really build some suspense that would have lasted the entire novel.  And, well, she didn't.  She just kind of laid it all on the line point blank; she wasted a pretty awesome build up, in my personal opinion.

  This book is set in the Flint Hills of Kansas, somewhere near and dear to my own heart, and I loved the country feel of it.  The main characters Mattie Evans, a vet who has fallen on some hard times here and there and  Gil McCray who is fresh off his pro football career and thinking of settling down; but not back at home, are a good fit even if they think otherwise.  They fight and argue, which is the good standby beginning for any romance, but suddenly they begin talking about having a relationship (the big R) almost from nowhere.  This book was a little confusing for me and I constantly asked myself 'where is this coming from?'.

  Overall, I liked the characters and the location, I thought she had great ideas that could have been executed better.  This book got a ton of great reviews on Goodreads (my own personal favorite way of investigation) so if you are someone who enjoys Christian romance this is probably an OK choice.  It just wasn't for me.


"The Swan Thieves", Elizabeth Kostova

  This book absolutely was for me!  Despite it's mammoth size, it was engaging and kept me up till the wee hours of the morning.  It is not just one love story, but several all tied together.  Sort of like those movies where each character is randomly tied to one another somehow, but through time.  Years of time.

  This book follows Dr. Andrew Marlow when he receives a new patient, Robert Oliver.  Robert, a renowned painter, refuses to speak after being arrested for trying to assault a painting in the National Gallery of Art (crazy, I know!).  And what unfolds is nothing short of magical.  There's romance, mystery and art.  So much art.  Reading this book made me want to immediately pick up my pencils and paints and get to work on something.  Anything!

  The romance of it is so wonderful tying through the ages and across countries and you feel like you're trying to solve a riddle throughout the book; trying to link all the pieces, follow the breadcrumbs and reach the answer before the book can tell it to you.  The sense of excitement is enough to keep you going.  I will say, though, that the ending was a little too neat for me.  Everything just sort of wrapped up and was 'fine and dandy'.  I don't really know what other kind of ending I would have preferred, but it just felt a little choked to me.

  Well, that's all I had time to put away in April, but already thinking of what to start reading this month.  I'd love to know what you've been reading (or like to read) and also if you read either one of these titles (love love love others' opinions on books).

  Please follow me on social media!  I don't know why I haven't mentioned before or put in a button (still working out all the kinks on this thing!) but feel free to follow me.  I have all the usual suspects, but wholeheartedly favor Instagram.  If you're also an obsessive fan, come find me, I usually post ever day.

Facebook: Alyx Ramos
Instagram: @alyxandraramos
Twitter: @AlyxRamos
Tumblr: aramos57
Pinterest: @alyxramos

  Omg, I'm so flipping original!  Like I said feel free to follow!

  Curious: any book suggestions for me?  My lists always need updating ;)  See you for the next bit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p