Skip to main content

The Book BIt: May 2019 Ed.

Hey all! I hope summer is in full swing for everyone. We had a particularly long school year due to all the snow days we accrued. Luckily the weather is finally turning and we're getting more and more warm days. Unfortunately, we're also getting colossal amounts of rain. Like, too much. Is anyone else just wanting some nice summer days where the pool is an actual option? I'm sure I'll regret saying that in another month. Anyway, I managed to put away two very good books this month. We have a new addition to our family, a baby boy, who joined us on May 13. So, I've been a little preoccupied this month, but I still managed to get some reading done. It's a nice little escape from my chaotic reality. Let's get started.

"A Wrinkle in Time"- Madeleine L'Engle

This was the book club selection this month and I could not have been more thrilled. Talk about a blast from the past! My mother used to check out this book on audio tape (yes, cassettes!) for when we went on family vacation. Proof that audio books aren't my thing, because the only thing I remembered from this book was the name of the little boy, Charles Wallace. I was happy to revisit this book and actually read it this time around.

Meg Murry has never fit in. Her twin brothers fit seamlessly in school, but Meg tends to stand out in the worst ways. It doesn't help that her father has been missing on secret assignment for years and that her little brother, Charles Wallace, is even stranger than her. When approached by strangers who seem to know a lot about her missing father, Meg, Charles, and Calvin (an unexpected friend) set off on a dangerous mission. What starts off as a simple rescue adventure turns more complex by every page turn. We're met with extraordinary realms, new friends, and a terrifying enemy. Even though this book was written in 1962 it reads like a modern sci-fi thriller. You won't have any trouble finishing it in one sitting.


"Nineteen Minutes"- Jodi Picoult

My husband actually picked this book from our home collection for me. I told him I needed another book to read this month and getting to the library was an impossibility. So, he perused my bookshelves and handed me this (rather large) Picoult book. If you read my blog regularly, you know that I love Picoult. I've read tons of her work and she's become a writer I collect. If I'm at a book sale I dig out her novels. If I see a garage sale with a box of books, I paw through them and pick out her titles. I just love the way she writes and the content is always controversial and interesting. This book was no different.

What happens when a child is perpetually bullied from a young age? What happens when parents think everything is fine, that their child is "just being a teenager"? What can happen in nineteen minutes when there's no one stopping you from getting revenge? Sterling is a small town in New Hampshire. A town where nothing bad happens and everyone knows everyone. One day, Sterling High School was devastated in nineteen minutes. This book is both a terrifying and heartbreaking story of a boy who was pushed beyond his limitations and decided he had endured enough. He would take no more, but at what cost? You will not be able to put this book down because you will find yourself needing answers. You won't quit flipping the pages until you know exactly what happened in that school in those nineteen minutes. Trust me, you'll devour this book.


That's all I have for this month! I hope everyone is kicking their summer off with a bang. Do you have some titles to recommend? Drop me a comment! I love hearing about what you all are reading. See you next month!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p