Skip to main content

The Book Bit: September 2019 Ed.

Hey all! I don't know if I mentioned last month, but we moved. Again. And I think I'm semi settled in. Well, there's only a few boxes left, so I think that's as settled as I'll be for now. I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely hate moving. All the boxes, forgetting where you put things, the chaos of setting up a new house. Ugh. I didn't get much reading done this month, but when I did it was a splendid retreat from all the moving business. So, are we ready?


"Jar of Hearts"- Jennifer Hillier

In high school, Georgina was always second best. Her best friend, Angela, was the star. She was captain of the cheerleading squad, homecoming queen, the one that everyone wanted to be. And then, suddenly, Angela was simply gone. Jump fourteen years ahead and Geo has made quite the name for herself being an executive of a pharmaceutical company. But her rise to stardom is quickly stifled when Angela's body is suddenly recovered and Geo is arrested as an accessory to murder.

Angela was the first of many women to be murdered by Calvin James, the Sweetbay Strangler. To authorities, he's a serial killer they've finally caught. To Geo, Calvin is her first love and also the boy who killed her best friend. This book is a tangled web of lies, sex, intrigue, and death. You will be shocked by what some people are capable of.

I have one thing to ultimately say about this book, it's f-ed up. It was well written, intriguing, disturbing, and for some reason it wasn't my favorite. I can't pinpoint my exact reason for disliking it, but don't let that stop you from reading it. If you like twisty books, this is one you need to add to your reading list.


"The Last House Guest"- Megan Miranda

Littleport, Maine is like any small town. Charming, quiet, but for four months of the year it's a busy vacation destination for the elite. A private seaside getaway for those people fortunate enough to have vacation homes and oversized wallets. For years Avery Greer counted down the months of the off-season until her best friend, Sadie, returned for the summer. Sadie wasn't just any girl, her family owned over half the rental properties in Littleport. She had status. After a summer of weird signals and bickering between Sadie and Avery everything came down to the "Plus One Party". It was the end of summer bash that everyone looked forward to. Little did Avery know it would be Sadie's last party ever.

Sadie's death was ruled a suicide, but Avery never believed that. And the following summer, when properties start getting vandalized and new evidence comes to light, all signs point to Avery. Would she really kill her best friend? Is someone trying to frame her? Did Avery know Sadie as well as she thought?

This book is riddled with family secrets, love, and lies. How far would you go to protect your family? Don't miss out on this one, guys.


That's all I managed to put away this month! What did you read? I love recommendations, so if there's something you love that you want me to read, let me know. I've already got the lineup for October set, and let me tell you, it's going to be freaky! Happy reading, book nerds.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p