Skip to main content

The Book Bit: November 2017 Ed.

  Guys!  I'm actually getting my blog post up before the end of the month, can you believe it?  I'm actually more shocked than usual because we have been traveling so very much this month.  Even though I have extremely good intentions of reading while traveling (I pack my books and everything ) I usually never spare a minute to actually crack one open.  So, this is exceptional for me!  I hope everyone had a perfectly satisfying Thanksgiving this year; I know I did!  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and I'm always sad to see it pass because that means it is officially Christmas season.  Christmas is not really my favorite thing.  I mean, I like decorating and baking and seeing all the lights, but the gift thing is not really my bag.  Plus, that means that fall is pretty much over and I love fall!  I mean, who doesn't?  Anyways, enough about the holidays, right!  Let's get down to business.





"The Silent Wife"- A.S.A. Harrison

  Let me just come right out and say I was a little disappointed with this book.  It had some great momentum and a terrific opening and then it just deflated from there.  Jodi and Todd have been together a long time, she has been very patient and understanding even though Todd is a committed cheater.  He lives in two worlds, but still very much loves Jodi.  Their marriage has been through many trials and tribulations, but everyone has a breaking point.  As the tension builds between the two of them you really start to wonder who is going to break first, who is going to head down the crazy town path; which one of them is the psychopath?  It's obvious from the start that Jodi is a little, well, off and we never get the full dirt on her issues (slightly disappointing) but Todd really is a piece of work throughout this whole book and you wonder how big of a dufus the guy actually is.  This book was targeted for "Gone Girl" fans, but it didn't have that edge for me, it was missing some action.  All around, not a bad book, but not my favorite.


"Scarlet"- Marissa Meyer

  This is book two in the Lunar Chronicles.  Book one is "Cinder" and omg you guys have to start this series. Yes, it's YA, but so was Harry Potter and every book lover has read that!  So, each book is a modernistic retelling of a fairytale.  Cinder was based on Cinderella, except Cinder is a cyborg.  We're set in the extreme future (World War IV was mentioned a few times) and we're dealing with an incurable virus and intergalactic war threats.  Cinder is the best mechanic in New Beijing and strives hard to keep her differences secret and hidden from everyone, but when the Prince stops in her shop for a personal repair, it was love at first sight.  Yes, it can be mushy, but the story really is great and you guys know how much I love childhood retellings.  The second book is based on Little Red Riding Hood and it completely exceeded my expectations.  Usually second books are very blah and just a lot of white noise, but I actually liked this one better than the first.  The two stories start off separate, but then the characters align into the same narrative.  The new characters are great and I raced through this book in a matter of days, I could not put it down.  Check this series out for sure.


"Just Life"- Neil Abramson

  I usually do not read animal-centric books.  Getting into the "animal psyche" doesn't hold a lot of interest for me and usually these books are major tear jerkers, but I decided to give this one a read and it was worth it.  In a small New York neighborhood, kids are getting very sick and dying by the day.  When vet Samantha Lewis gets word that the virus is linked to rabies, she knows her shelter is in trouble.  She's made it her life's mission to rescue, protect and love any stray she can keep in her facility, but when the CDC is trying to blame the virus on her animals, they realize they're messing with one tough opponent.  Follow several members of Samantha's team as they search for an answer that will keep her dogs safe and uncover the truth behind the virus.  This book has so many stories happening all at once, but it was very well written and I enjoyed all of it.  It raises the moral questions of how far would we go to protect people vs. animals, are we really that different from one another and the truth that we will never really deserve a dog's love.


Thank you so much for stopping by, I hoped you enjoyed the reviews and maybe found a new book to pick up.  I am really excited about December's books, I've already picked them out!  Have some suggestions for me?  I love hearing them!  See you guys next time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p