Skip to main content

The Book Bit: January 2018 Edition


Hello, 2018! This year has already begun with a bang over at our house; we're moving in one month! Again! I feel like we only just settled into this place and we're hunkered down with boxes, packing tape, and bubble wrap all over again. I still managed to read three books this month, get some freelance writing done, throw a birthday party and find a place to live in another state. Phew. I think I deserve some a reward over here, am I right? This month's picks were extra fun because my sister and I decided to start a book club. I didn't mention that already? As you can imagine, my sister is as much of a book nerd as I am, so we decided to put together a little club of our own. Honestly, I don't know why it's taken so long for this to happen; I mean, we've known each other over twenty years (*slaps knee). Anyway, one of the books is a book club read, and I cannot wait to dissect it with my fellow club members! Without any more lists of my accomplishments for this month, here is our lineup.



"In a Dark, Dark Wood"- Ruth Ware

 This is the book. What a spectacular pick for a book club. If you ever start one of your own, read this one for discussion. You will be dying to dissect it! Leonora is a bit of a loner since high school. She changed campus abruptly and barely kept in touch with anyone after graduation. You can imagine her surprise when she gets an invite from her old high school best friend to attend her bachelorette (in this book aka a "hen"; it's British, don't ask me.) party on short notice. She doesn't want to see Clare, not really. But why is she reaching out after all this time; after... what happened. Against her better judgment she decides to go, and as the weekend begins, Nora realizes she should've listened to her gut. This book is loaded with potential, and you can't help but keep ripping the pages away, needing to find out what exactly happened in the house buried in the woods. I would've gone a different direction with the ending, but it still managed to surprise me. This book will keep you guessing until the very last page. Even the ending is a bit of a tossup. Gone Girl fans will want to read this book; it's worth your time.





"How to Lead a Life of Crime"- Kirsten Miller

 This book was not what I was expecting; it turned out to be so much more than I imagined. Flick has been living on the streets for awhile, picking pockets (expertly) and biding his time until he can seek revenge on his father. When he gets approached to steal some documents for a high paying citizen, he doesn't hesitate, but when asked to join the elite Mandel Academy, reserved for the troubled youth of New York, his confidence waivers. Everyone knows the Mandel Academy turns youth scum into the most successful businessmen and women of America; future CEO's, lawyers and hedge fund managers to name a few. People don't know what happens behind those closed doors. Society doesn't know that Lucian Mandel lures troubled kids into his school and teaches them how to use their survival skills to steal money from banks, control the internet, buy politicians, get drugs pushed from trial stages into every pharmacy in America and get rid of people who get in the way of their success. Nobody knows that Mandel has an army of thieves in his school. Flick decides to attend for one reason and one reason only, to collect evidence against his father, but he stays for another. This is technically a young adult book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. You'll be surprised up until the end; Miller turns the tables every few pages, and you won't want to put it down until you figure everything out. She also added an addendum to the end, promise me you will read it! Any little lingering questions you had throughout the entire book is answered. It's worth the extra ten minutes of reading, trust me.





"The House We Grew Up In"- Lisa Jewell

 I didn't know this was a book about hoarding when I checked it out, but I found it interesting none the less. Hoarding is a very interesting topic to me, and I've always wondered what the trigger is for people who have this peculiar disorder. I know everyone is different, but this book gives us a closeup of Lorelei Bird and her little family and how easy it is for everything to go wrong. Lorelei and Colin have four amazing children, Meg, Beth, and the twins, Rory and Rhys. Lorelei lives only in the moment, is carefree, all loving and a ray of sunshine. Easter is the biggest holiday of the year in the Bird House, and no one is exempt from the festivities. Fast forward twenty years and not one Bird child is home on Easter. Over the years, pain has turned to guilt, guilt to anger, anger to resentment, and now no one is home. Lorelei has buried herself amongst her things. Meg has immersed herself in her children. Beth has lost her mind. Rory has disappeared. And Rhys. Poor Rhys. This book jumps between memories from each of the children, the present and some shared emails between Lorelei and a pen-pal. Travel through this book and try and unravel what exactly went wrong all those years ago, one fateful Easter, when things took a turn for the worst for the Bird family. At some point in the book, I just wanted to reach in and shake everybody screaming, "Get over this! Stop hanging onto what happened!", But then I also sympathized with them greatly. I think Jewell could have done a better job with "the big secret" Lorelei hung onto for so many years, but it wasn't a deal breaker. This book had a lot of family dynamics, dirty laundry, and will give you the itch to clean your house thoroughly. I enjoyed it.





 That's all for this month! Full disclosure, I've only chosen two books for next month. We're moving the last week of February, and I didn't want to set myself up for failure. So, two books it is. I hope everyone is having a wonderful New Year so far and that you're holding true to your resolutions still (it's been an uphill battle over here!). Is anyone excited about new books for this year? Have any recommendations for me?! Leave me a comment; I would love to hear what you think. Remember to subscribe and follow! Until next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p