Skip to main content

Make the Switch: My Conversion to a Menstrual Cup

Ladies (and perhaps a few brave gents) we're getting personal on the blog today. Like, really personal. We're talking about our periods. *Gasp* It's one of those things (along with infertility, miscarriage and postpartum depression) that we forget we need to talk about. Well, here it is! I recently made the switch and decided to stop using pads and tampons. And everything changed. If you are on the fence about your menstrual products, keep reading. I'm about to change your mind for good!


-Me and My Period

Here's some information that you absolutely did not ask for, but is imperative to my story. I have extremely sensitive lady parts. Tampons cause high levels of discomfort to the point of migraines, severe cramping and a few times nausea. So, I don't use them. Now and then I would see a new kind on the shelf that promised comfort and slim fitting, and I would take a gamble. And lose. Every. Single. Time. I just accepted that I would never be able to wear tampons comfortably, and relied solely on menstrual pads while on my period.

Pads can also be uncomfortable. They leak, have an odor and can sometimes cause skin irritation. And no one wants that skin irritated! I'd seen, multiple times, advertisements for menstrual cups and skipped over them, always thinking, "It'll feel just like a tampon. And I can't wear those." So, what finally changed my mind, one might wonder. My sister. She tried it and immediately told me to switch. I like to think that we have positive influences on each other. I help her with yoga and going green, and she helps me stay confident in myself and taking care of my body naturally. (Btw have you tried Lush products?)

My period had always been very regular and not much to write home about. Hardly any cramping and not too heavy. Then I had a kid. Everything about my period (25 years worth!) had changed. The cramping was unbearable; I didn't know (though I 100% sympathized) what women with bad cramps went through, until then. I dealt with that for three years, then had baby number two. And things changed again. The cramping has minimized, but I have an extremely heavy flow the first days of my period. I had never experienced bleeding like this. I leaked out of my pads in hours and never felt comfortable leaving the house those first few days because there was always a "mishap".


-The Switch

I ran out of pads (big surprise) and went to the pharmacy to get more. As I was perusing the aisle, looking for my purchase, I saw a Diva Cup. My sister's words were still in my head, so I picked up the box to take a look. I read some cursory information and then looked at the price. It cost twice what my pack of pads was going to cost. I quickly put it down and walked away. I don't know what made me turn around and pick the box up and toss it into my basket. I honestly don't. All I know is I walked out of the store with it and decided to give it a try.

Once I got home, I read the instructions very carefully (three times) and inserted it. I did a twenty minute HIIT workout and then forty-five minutes of yoga. I went to the bathroom... And there was nothing. No leaking. I hardly even noticed I had it in while I was working out. I couldn't believe it! Something that finally worked!

Let's break it down. On average, women use about twenty tampons per period, roughly 240 per year. That averages to be about sixty bucks for a year's worth of tampons (roughly forty for pads; they're a touch cheaper). You're probably thinking, that's not that bad. A menstrual cup will set you back thirty to forty dollars. But they last (a minimum) of one year. So the cost is roughly the same. Let's move on to the more important things.


-Your Body

Even if you buy organic tampons, they are still rough on your lady parts. They soak up everything, including some of the good bacteria which protect your vagina. Though toxic shock syndrome is pretty rare, almost all cases (in women) are because of tampons. And get this, you can leave your cup in for twelve hours! That means all night long without worrying about leaks or an infection.

These companies aren't as regulated as most of the other products we purchase. Though the primary "ingredients" for tampons are bleached cotton and/or rayon, there are other chemicals and substances included. Some companies aren't required to disclose this information, so do you even really know what you're putting inside you? Inside the most sensitive part of your body?


-The Environment

My green gals will appreciate this! Can you imagine how much waste we (as women) accumulate with our menstrual products? They are not biodegradable, can't be recycled or flushed. They're just taking up space at some landfill. It's easy to forget about them once we throw them away, but there are a lot of women. And it adds up.

This product is definitely for you if you are environmentally concerned. Also, if you are a hiker or a backpacker, this is a fantastic solution when you're on the trail. It weighs nothing, and you don't have to pack it out.


-The Rub

Ok, so does it work? Have there been problems? Yes and yes. I love my cup and do not plan on going back to other products, ever, but there have been a few issues here and there. And they all had to do with user malfunction. Ahem, me. I have leaked a total of two times with my cup.

The first time, I was jarred awake by my one-year-old one morning. Her foot was stuck in her crib, and she thought she was dying. That took a few minutes to diffuse, then my four-year-old was up, and breakfast was demanded of everyone. I forgot I had my cup in (I repeat, FORGOT! That's how comfortable this thing is!) and when I went to the bathroom, I noticed I had leaked. I'm talking a max of 3-5 drops of blood. That's it! It turns out my cup was full (it was one of my heaviest days) and had leaked out the top.

The second time, the cup didn't open all the way, and I had some leakage. Again, maybe 3-5 drops of blood. There are a few different ways to fold the cup and insert, and the way I was using wasn't working for me. So, I tried a different method and have since had no problems. I seriously never worry about leaking anymore.

Many women are turned off by the fact that you have to empty it yourself and clean it. And let me tell you, it's not as bad as you think. And since the cup catches the blood at the source (did you know the only time there is odor is when the blood is exposed to air?), there is virtually no smell. At all. And cleaning it is as simple as removing it, turning it upside down and rinsing it out. While I don't usually empty mine in public restrooms, it's perfectly fine to dump it, give it a quick wipe and put it back in. Just make sure you give it a good rinse the next go around. It's not as bad as everyone thinks.


So, have I sold you on one? Are you going to try it? Just so you all know, I am not getting paid or compensated in any way to tell you this. I'm simply one woman, telling more women, how the menstrual cup changed my entire period. It really did. I'm not making this up. Try one, you won't go back either.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p