Skip to main content

The Best Thing I Ever Did For My Writing

Hey, guys! As many of you know, I'm in the midst of publishing my very first novel. Yikes. What a journey it's been already, and I'm not even done! While there are several things you should do before you publish, the one thing I highly recommend is participating in a writer's share. I'm shocked that more writer's don't do this on a regular basis before publishing. I've talked with other indie authors (several) who have never participated and still produce great novels. That being said, joining a writer's share has drastically improved my writing. So, I'm here today to discuss it with you.


-What is a Writer's Share?

I'm so glad you asked! A writer's share is an agreement to critique another writer's work in exchange for yours. You can do this chapter by chapter or the work as a whole, depending on the agreement set. It also depends if the work (manuscript) is finished or still a work in progress. These are all laid out beforehand when agreeing to share.

Here's why I think you should share your work with someone besides your editor (if you have one). Getting new (professional-esque) eyes on your work is imperative to your writing. Because we spend so much time with our own work, we fail to see all of the flaws. Another writer can usually spot the problems both in the immediate sense (Judith was standing, and now suddenly she's laying down) and the big picture (Judith has extreme anxiety but has no trouble with public speaking). There are things other eyes see that we tend to ignore because we've been living in the story for so long.


-Where Do I Go?

There are many ways to find a writer's share. I've done it through members-only clubs and meeting other authors that needed a similar service. There are online clubs to choose from and local clubs if you enjoy physically meets. Though most of us writers are a bit shy.

I, personally, use Scribophile. And I love it. There are several versions you can use. Some services are free (though not as in depth), while others cost a monthly fee. The neat thing is, anyone can look at your work and offer advice. I think this is great because it gives you lots of opinions to work with. I think variety is important. It also allows you to make some great connections. I have people on Scrib that have read my novel from the beginning. So, you can get advice from people looking at the big picture and some who look at one chapter at a time. You get people from all walks of life (and careers) looking at your stuff. There are people in our community that have a lot of experience with editing, which I find extremely helpful. My grammar and punctuation are sometimes embarrassing. There are others that have jobs in the same field as my main character and can attribute whether or not the scene (or traits) are authentic. This is all helpful in building a strong narrative. I've also secured a few Beta Readers for my book through Scribophile.

Here's how it works. When you critique another writer's work, you are awarded points (Karma) based on word count. After you accumulate five Karma Points, you can post your work to be critiqued. Everything is give and take. You critique a lot, you can put up a lot of work. You don't critique, well, you get nothing.


-How It's Made Me a Better Writer

I was appalled at how often I used semicolons. Try two per paragraph. That's way too many. But, I never noticed it until someone mentioned it to me. And dialogue tags? I've been punctuating them incorrectly for three years. These are all things someone else was kind enough to point out for me. I also use a lot of the same action tags. Smiling and head nodding are my go-to. Well, not anymore! Getting fresh, experienced, eyes on your work has made my writing better.

I understand writing more now than ever. Looking at other's work helped give me a new perspective on how I write. Seeing how other people form their chapters and build suspense has taught me how to do those things as well. I know more about character arc now than I ever did before. And if you don't know about show vs. tell (like me), you will. I promise.

Critiquing work, besides my own, has made me better at editing my manuscript. I can make changes (big and small) with less trepidation. I used to never delete anything from my writing. It always felt too important. Now I have no problem trimming the fat. The more I critique, the better my eyes get for my work. I think it's important to hone your editing skills. I also think it's important to help out other writer's. We're a community after all.


I hope this gives you the push to join a writer's share. I think it's essential to every writer, whether it's your fiftieth novel or your first, to get other's opinions. This is hands-down the best thing I have ever done for my writing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p