Skip to main content

The Book Bit: November 2020 Ed.



I hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving, however you chose to spend it. This was the first time in six years that we didn't travel and see family for Thanksgiving. It was hard, and I miss them very much, but it was also a bit of a relief not to travel and be away from home. Plus it gave me more time to read! What have you been reading this month? Anything good? Let's get started.

 

"Dead To The World"- Charlaine Harris

This is book four in the Sookie Stackhouse series. To see my review for book one, you can find that here. Sookie may be able to read minds and keep her business to herself, but when she drives home one night and sees a naked man running along her road, she has to stop. There's only so much business you can mind yourself. The problem is, this isn't just any man. It's a man she knows. Eric, the vampire that owns a nightclub and good friends with her (now) ex. To her surprise, when she stops it becomes apparent that Eric has no memory. At all. And while Sookie tends to like this new Eric and his muddy memory, she has to enlist the help of her friends (vampire and other) to help get Eric back in his original state.

I have a lot of thoughts on this series and let's start with the fact that I don't really enjoy vampire books. And with each book we meet a new type of supernatural and I'm very much enjoying that part. So while this series may not be my favorite, it's growing on me.

 

"The Whisper Man"- Alex North

When Tom's wife dies suddenly, it's up to him to raise their son, Jake. The problem is, they never really learned how to connect and talk with each other. Something Tom constantly punishes himself for. When they manage to buy a house, far away from burning memories, it's not long before things start turning for the worst. First, a young boy goes missing, and old stories begin to creep up in the rumor mill. Except maybe they're not old stories. Maybe the Whisper Man is still around, waiting to talk to you through your window at night. Maybe no one is safe from his shadow.

This book was amazing. Told from several perspectives, it kept me turning the pages until I reached the final conclusion. There's mystery, suspense, murder, abduction, and it's all done so seamlessly. Pick this one up, you won't regret it.

 

"Beartown"- Fredrik Backman

All of Beartown is hockey. They live it, breathe it, and depend on it. Over the years, without winning championships, the town has dried up, shuttered in, and is barely hanging on. But this is their year. They're getting back on the map. Because the junior league hockey team is going to win the semi-finals and then the finals. They have Kevin and a strong team to back him. They are unstoppable. But small towns don't hide much. In fact, everyone seems to know everything, but no one says anything. Silence is the way of this town, and no one is breaking rank. But some secrets cannot and should not be held. And when a young girl comes forward with her truth, this town will rip itself, and her, apart trying to hide it.

This book was absolutely phenomenal and heartbreaking. It reminded me very much of my own town, where if you have money and play sports, you can get away with anything. This is one of those books that needs to be read. By everyone. I couldn't put it down and it will be going into my permanent collection. I also just realized it's part of a series?! So, I will investigating that shortly.

 

That's all I have for this month! The lineup for December also looks promising, but I feel like I say that every month! Let me know what you've been reading in the comments. Is there something you think I should read and review? Let me know! Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p