Skip to main content

The Book Bit: December 2018 Ed.

Phew, the holidays are finally over! Did everyone have a festive season this year? Well, we didn't pursue Christmas with our usual vigor this year, but I think the kids had a fun time and that's all that really matters. I put away three good books this month to finish off the year. And in January, I'm going to do a Top 5 of 2018 to talk about my favorite books from this year. It's going to be a hard decision, but it'll be fun to revisit and gush about some of my favorite titles once again. I hope you'll tune in for that one! Let's get started!


"Girls' Night Out"- Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke

This was such an exciting book. Imagine you're on a getaway with your besties in a foreign country. Everything is beautiful beaches, fun in the sun, and endless margaritas. Then on your last night together, one of you goes missing from the bar. Of course, it's not nearly as simple as that. What fun would that be? Ashley, Natalie, and Lauren were the friends that would be together forever. The three musketeers. But when Ashley and Lauren have a bitter falling out and Ashley and Natalie begin to fight over a shared business venture, things are anything but fine.

In a last-ditch effort to keep their friendship afloat, Ashley decides to take all of them on a trip to Tulum, Mexico. Surely they can heal old wounds in a paradise such as that. But as the tension between the three strain and secrets float to the surface, when Ashley appears to be missing, everyone is quick to make Lauren and Natalie a person of interest. Where did Ashley go? What happened that night at the bar? This was a solid read with tons of intrigue and excitement. I highly recommend.


"Far From Here"- Nicole Baart

This book was pulled from my personal collection this month. I need to start working through them instead of letting them sit on my shelves staring at me. Can anyone else relate? Well, this book was a bit of a ride, and I came around to it in the end.

Danica and Etsell were in love the way that everyone envies, but on paper, they don't seem to fit together very well. Etsell was born to be in the air and has spent his entire adult life flying planes. Danica is firmly rooted in the soils of Iowa and hates everything about flying. Though they fought, like every couple, they loved with such unwavering fierceness.

When Etsell gets a three-week opportunity to fly in Alaska, Danica knows she can't stand in his way. On his last flight, his plane goes missing. There was no flight plan, no last phone call, Etsell simply vanished. As the search for Etsell continues, Danica is left with the lingering question: How long do you hold out hope? When do you simply give up? And when new information about Etsell's time in Alaska comes to light, she's forced to accept that maybe their love wasn't as strong as she thought. I enjoyed this book. From the dysfunctional families to the ending that seemed too good to be true, I think there's something for everyone in this book.


"Skipping Christmas"- John Grisham

This was the book club pick this month, and it was an enjoyable little read. Something easy and light to combat the hectic holiday season. Have you seen the film "Christmas With the Kranks"? That movie was based on this book. So, now you have a reference point, though I think the book was better. Big surprise!

As Luther and Nora put their only daughter on a plane to join the Peace Corps, they're stuck with the heavy thought that Christmas won't be the same without the entire family together. When Luther, astute accountant, crunches the numbers from the previous holiday season, it puts into perspective how much money they actually spend on Christmas. Too much. So he pitches his idea to Nora. Skip Christmas. No holiday cards or tacky decorations, no giant Christmas Eve bash or calendar fundraisers, no presents or dreaded office parties. Not this year. Instead, they're going to take the money they usually spend and go on a Caribbean cruise - ten days of all-inclusive fun in the sun.
As word gets around the neighborhood about their plans to skip Christmas, a few folks take it upon themselves to make the Kranks as miserable as possible. And though Nora and Luther hold firm, they get a surprising phone call the day before their cruise departs.

Christmas is probably my least favorite holiday. Now, before you go shouting "Scrooge!", at least hear me out. I dislike the materialistic shebang that Christmas is. I hate trying to find the perfect present for my kids and husband. I hate the pressure of coming to events and get-togethers. Can't we see one another throughout the year? If my husband finds something he really wants in March, shouldn't he get it and be happy? I don't love all the crowded shopping areas, and how grumpy people are, I hate how everyone wants donations right when the finances are tight. What's wrong with helping charities throughout the year? Why is this one month a year, "the season of giving," when all it's giving me is anxiety? The only thing I like about Christmas is spending time with my family. So, this book was extremely relatable for me. I didn't like the ending, but the meat of it rang true.


I hope you all had an incredible year. It's been one for the books in our family. Do you have any recommendations for me? I would love to know what you're reading! See you next year! And watch for my Top 5 roundup. Happy reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p