Skip to main content

The Book Bit: January 2019 Ed.


Welcome to the New Year, everybody! Is it just me or is everyone else falling behind on their to-dos already? Please tell me I'm not alone? I feel like January steam-rolled right over me! Only the bare essentials have been taken care of, but there's always a chance at a fresh start in February!

I know I promised a post of my Top Five for 2018 and I have failed to deliver. I swear, I'm actively getting my life together and will put the blog post up asap. Now. Let's talk about what I read this month.


"The Arrangement"- Sarah Dunn

If the thought of an open marriage has never crossed your mind (even in a drunken fantasy), I would say you were a liar. Everyone has thought about it at least once. And sensible couple Lucy and Owen balk at the idea that their friends are going for it. Once fast-paced New Yorkers, they left the hustle and bustle of the big city for the burbs. And once they realized their son was autistic, the dynamic of their relationship significantly changed.

At a close-knit cookout, Lucy and Owen's friends admit they are going to try an open marriage for a while. But there are rules. At first, the two laugh and poke fun at their friends' decision. Surely it will ruin their marriage. Won't it? But after a few drinks and a legal pad document signed by both Lucy and Owen, they take the plunge. Owen is quick to find someone to spend time with, and Lucy notices the change in his attitude immediately. Maybe seeing other people isn't such a bad idea? As this couple gets further into their Arrangement, things get more complicated than ever.

Along with getting the full story between Lucy and Owen, we're offered sneak peeks into the other marriages of their suburban town. It gives the book a very gossipy feel, which we all know is true of close-knit communities. Though this book may seem like a stretch at first look, you won't be able to put it down.


"Reached"- Ally Condie

This is the third and final book in the Matched Series. To read my review of Crossed (book two), you can find that here.

When I checked this out from the library, my first thought was, "This thing is massive!" It was large compared to the first two. And I did find it somewhat inflated. I found myself struggling through this one. It seemed to drag on forever, and the pace was a little slow for me. I really enjoyed the first two books focusing on The Society, which controls people with pills and withholding knowledge of the artistic world. It was very intriguing. And then you get the addition of this love triangle between Ky (the loner and outcast), Xander (the strong, stoic type) and Cassia (a little too smart for her own good.) I fell in love with these characters.

This book focuses on the fall of Society. The buildup of the first two novels, finally realized! But it isn't what everyone was expecting. Along with the overthrow comes a deadly virus. A virus that only Cassia, Ky, and Xander can cure. Quite coincidental if you ask me.

I honestly didn't love this book as much as I was hoping. Although all the high notes were hit and you get that great conclusion that you desperately need in a third novel, I found myself slightly disengaged while reading. Overall, I thought the series was a success. And keep in mind it's YA, so it's geared for the younger crowd.


"Sharp Objects"- Gillian Flynn

I greatly enjoy Gillian Flynn. She's brilliant. I fell in love with her when I read "Gone Girl" as did most of America. I had high hopes for this book. And Flynn delivered.

Camille Preaker, a so-so journalist in Chicago, has had her fair share of trials and tribulations. When her boss assigns her to a double murder case in her hometown, Camille starts to feel the pressure. Her home life was not exactly ideal, and the thought of seeing her mother again has her on edge.

Camille takes the job, regardless, and finds herself tumbling down the rabbit hole of small-town gossip, cliques, and a half-sister she barely knows, but fears. As the mystery behind the murders unfolds, so does Camille's grip on her sanity. This is a page-turner that will keep you up at night. You won't be able to walk away until you know the truth. And believe me, the shock factor doesn't fade — another fantastic novel by Gillian Flynn.


That's all I read this month! What have you guys been reading? Do you have any suggestions for me? Keep a lookout for the 2018 roundup, coming very soon! See you next time and happy reading.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p