Skip to main content

The Book Bit: March 2019 Ed.

I hope everyone had a pleasant March and an exciting Spring Break. We got tons and tons of rain and snow melt. If you heard about the floods in Nebraska, now you know someone who lives near the action! Thankfully the flooding is subsiding, slowly, but there's still tons of damage and families without homes. We were lucky enough not to be directly affected, but much of our community is suffering. Keep sending us all your good vibes and thoughts, we sure need them!

Moving on. I managed to (barely) read three outstanding books this month. I hope some of you took a book vacation over Spring Break! That was always my favorite thing to do when I got a break from school. My mom, sister, and I would go to the library, stock up on books, and just read. Great memories there. If you read something you think I'd like, let me know! Let's get started.


"Black Klansman"- Ron Stallworth

This book recently got a film adaption, so of course, I needed to read it before viewing the movie! It follows a fascinating segment of Ron Stallworth's career as an undercover detective. Set in Colorado Springs in 1978, things were very different for the average black man. Not only was Ron the first black detective in the history of the Colorado Springs Police Department, he was the first (and only) black man to infiltrate the KKK. Yeah. Crazy, right?!
 
Though this book didn't have a lot of action or fast-paced thrills, it was historically interesting. Reading that an African American man hacked the KKK? No one is ever going to top this story. As I was reading this, it made me pause and look at how far we've come in the last forty years. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem we've come far enough. A lot of what I read still rings true today and minorities are still fighting the same issues. If you're looking for a high action true crime book, this isn't it. But I think everyone can appreciate it's historical value and Stallworth's amazing feat. 


"Four to Score"- Janet Evanovich 

This is the fourth book in the Stephanie Plum series. I feel like everyone has read or heard about this series. It was insanely popular when first published, got a single film adaptation, and you can still find these books in every bookstore (thrift or chain) and garage sales. This is one of those series that you can walk away from for years and pick up again with no problem. Case and point, I've had this blog for about three years, and this is the first time I've reviewed her books. So it's been over three years since I read "Three to Get Deadly." It felt like greeting an old friend. Evanovich is funny, spunky, and writes relatable characters that'll keep you flipping the pages.

Stephanie has found herself on the upswing of bounty hunting. She has a car she likes, been getting successful skips, and though her mother still wishes she'd settle down and get married, she's doing just fine. Until Maxine Nowicki, a slippery skip that has a deeper story than merely theft and extortion. As Stephanie tries to unravel the mystery behind her bounty, she gets entangled with cop Joe Morelli, her mentor, Ranger and all the other usual cast we know and love; it becomes clear that Stephanie has her work cut out for her.

If you haven't read this series, I assure you it's something you'll love. It's funny, witty, and easy to read. Book one, "One for the Money" will get you hooked. From there, you'll be scoping all your thrift stores and garage sales this summer for the rest of her collection.

"The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle"- Stuart Turton

This was the book club selection this month and, wow, did it deliver! I don't like period pieces. They're probably the only type of reading I don't enjoy, but this book didn't seem to bother me. Imagine if the game Clue got put into a novel, but you could jump between characters. We follow Aiden Bishop when he wakes up in the woods near Blackheath with no memories and no idea where or who he is. He soon learns he must solve a murder and has eight repeating days within different guests at the party to solve it. Little does he know how high the stakes really are and that he has competition. There's only one way to escape Blackheath, solve the murder of Evelyn Hardcastle. 

This was an amazing who-dun-it novel written by a very talented author. There are just some books you read and wonder how someone's mind can twist around and lay out a story like this. Read it, trust me. You won't be disappointed.


That's what I got through this month, and it's going to take a lot to top this list. I already have some reads picked for April, but if you have any suggestions for me I'm all ears! I love getting recommendations. Check back in April!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p