Skip to main content

The Book Bit: May 2020 Ed.

Hey, everyone! I hope May has been good to you. I've managed to read some really great books this month. I don't know about where you all live, but the weather has not officially changed to summer in the Midwest. Not where I am anyway. Some days are still 50s and others 80s. I'm a little over it, honestly. I want to put all my jackets away and bathe in the sun! I want to sit on a hot beach with a good book or by the pool. Well. That might not be such a possibility this summer, so I'll settle for the water sprinkler running full blast for my kids and a lawn chair.

Anyway. Have you all been reading any good books? I'm always interested to hear what you're reading, or if you have any recommendations for me. Sometimes I get stuck in my little reading ruts and always love reading new genres and authors. Drop me a comment if you have any recommendations. Let's get started.


"Breakout"- Kevin Emerson

So, I'm getting down to the bare bones of my personal collection. I have a Kindle, and I love it, but I really love holding books and I regularly depend on my local library to supply me with my monthly reads. Otherwise, my book habit would be way too expensive. But the library is currently closed so I've been digging through my personal library, which I've dwindled down over the years, and came up with this book. I don't now what possessed me to buy it, but I'm glad I did.

Eighth grade could possibly be described as the worst year ever. Unless you're ultra popular, beautiful, or so smart that every teacher loves you. Otherwise, just surviving every day can seem torturous. Anthony is definitely feeling the pressure from 'the man'. Misunderstood. Underestimated. Labeled. He's over it. The only thing good about school is playing his guitar in an extracurricular class called, Rock Band. And the fall concert is the thing that gives Anthony life. So, when he writes a song with some questionable lyrics, Anthony begins the war against 'the man'. Will he win? Or bow?

This book really surprised me. I honestly thought it would be too young for me to enjoy, but it brought up a lot of nostalgia. At that age, everything feels like life and death, every encounter feels like a hurricane. And Emerson captured exactly what it's like to be too young to be taken seriously, but too old to be a kid. It was an easy read and I really enjoyed it.


"Evil at Heart"- Chelsea Cain

This is the third book in the Archie Sheridan and Gretchen Lowell series. To see the reviews for books one and two, you can find those here and here. Let me just say, I absolutely love this series. I think Cain is a genius in the most twisty, dark, terrifying way. These books get twistier and more frightening with every sequel. And I fall more and more in love with the characters. And this book, in particular, we get to see major growth from Archie, which is a long time coming. We also get to see more of my favorite sidekick, Susan, and bigger cameos from Henry, whom I've fallen in love with in this novel.

With Gretchen still at large, she's become a major celebrity. In the weirdest way. While Susan tries to keep her job and begs to interview Archie, the chaos surrounding The Beauty Killer reaches new heights. Especially when new bodies start popping up. With Archie tucked away, electively, in an institute, Gretchen finds new and interesting ways to reach out to him. Will Archie run back to her, even though he knows his obsession with her is toxic? Or will he finally hunt The Beauty Killer down once and for all? The best thing about this series is that Cain hasn't laid out Gretchen and Archie's relationship all in one go. With each book she reveals more and more of their history and it really drives the story.

Just a heads up, do not read this series is you have a soft stomach. I'm serious. Weird shit happens in these books. But. I love them.


"The Great Alone"- Kristin Hannah

This was my first Hannah book and I'm so glad I read it. This book was devastating in the most beautiful way. It's a big book (over 500 pages) but it's worth it. Trust me.

It's always been Leni and Cora Albright. Cora and Leni. Two peas in a pod, two of a kind. This mother-daughter bond could withstand anything. And then there was Ernt Albright. When he came back from Vietnam, Cora knew he was changed. Different. And after several moves, it was apparent that things weren't going to get better. The year Leni turned fourteen, the Albrights moved to Alaska. Off the grid. Into the bush. They were going to live off the land. And they were completely unprepared. Unprepared for the beauty of Alaska, the tight knit community, the abundance of freedom. They were also unprepared for the darkness. And Alaska's insatiable thirst for blood. They have a saying in Alaska. You get two mistakes. The second one gets you killed. And Leni learned this many times the years she lived there in a small one bedroom cabin with her parents. There were no secrets. No lies. No hiding. Everyone told her to give Alaska respect, that there's danger at every turn. But nobody warned her the biggest threat would be in her own home.

Seriously, read this book. I couldn't put it down. Hannah made something really magical here. Devastating, but magical.


That's all I have this month. I hope you all have found time to read or found something here to read next month. Still have a recommendation for me? I'd love to hear it! I'll see you all next month. Happy reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p