Skip to main content

The Book Bit: August 2020 Ed.

Hey everyone! This time of year always gets me a little nostalgic. The heat's finally starting to let up, the stores are full of fall clothing lines and back to school supplies. It always reminds me of when I was a kid, helping my mom get her classroom ready for the school year. My sister and I would hang out in the teachers workroom and punch out letters and fight over who got to use the laminator. Good times. August was also the month when I reflected on all my summer reading. Usually I had high expectations, but never really carved out time for my books. Well. I managed to get a good chunk of reading done this month. And, I'll be honest, the only reason this was possible is because I've officially stopped unpacking. Oh, there's still boxes everywhere. I'm just temporarily done opening them. I need a little mental break from that and my books have been an amazing distraction! Let's get started.


"If I Live"- Terri Blackstock

This is the third and final book in the "If I Run" series. To see reviews for books one and two, click here and here. This series focuses on Casey Cox and her escape from persecution and certain death. When she was a child, she knew her father hadn't killed himself, but she couldn't prove it. Years later, as an adult, she finally opens up to a close friend about her suspicions involving dirty cops and her father's death. Shortly after, her friend is found murdered and Casey's DNA is all over the crime scene. So, she runs.

Dylan Roberts, a private detective living with severe PTSD, is hired to aid with solving the murder case. But, after some digging, Casey's story seems to have some merit. Can he find her and help her clear her name before the corrupt cops catch her?

The first book gave an incredibly good hook and I was eager to read the second. About halfway through book 2 there seemed to be a lot of God heavy referencing and preaching. Book three was basically held in a church with every chapter referencing forgiveness and Jesus's death for our sins. I don't go out of my way to read religious fiction and book one didn't give me any kind of hint that this was one. In all fairness, I could have looked up Blackstock and seen that she mostly writes religious fiction, but I didn't. This isn't my only issue with this series. We're basically given a repeat of plot and arc throughout each book. Casey runs away, finds somewhere to hide, gets herself into a morally questionable situation where she gets to play hero and blows her cover. Dylan covers for her. This is the theme for every book. And by book three, I was just over it. If you like religious fiction and enjoy a seemingly endless wild goose chase, then you would probably enjoy this series. I did like the characters and really connected with Dylan Roberts, but overall, this wasn't really for me.

"All The Bright Places"- Jennifer Niven

Theodore Finch is awake. After being asleep for months, he's finally here in the present. But he still finds himself on top of the bell tower at school, thinking about death, as he tends to do. But today, he's thinking about jumping.

Violet Markey lost her sister in a car accident. One that should have never happened. Why did Violet survive, but not Eleanor? Everyone's telling her to move on, get "get over it", to let it go. But, Violet finds herself on the ledge of the bell tower, ready to jump. Then, she meets Finch.

Follow Violet and Finch as they try and heal, find a new path, and search for the perfect day. 

This book completely blew me away. It was beautifully heartbreaking and 100% honest. It's really just a story of two hurting kids trying desperately to hold all the pieces together. You won't regret reading this book. It may be the best thing I've read this year.

"Year One"- Nora Roberts

This is the first book in the "Chronicles of the One" series. A virus hits planet. Everyone simple calls it The Doom. Within weeks of patient zero finding his way to a hospital, almost a quarter of the world population is infected. Within months, half. Billions of people, dead. So, what's left? People who are naturally immune and people with powers. Navigate through this time with a large cast of characters as we endure the beginning of the fight between light and dark. We're introduced to faeries, witches, magic (dark and light), psychics, shapeshifters, and humans that are all trying to coexist and rebuild. But not everyone wants a world like the one they lived in before. Some want blood, darkness, death, pain. While others simply want to be safe, secure, and start fresh. Everyone's lost someone and nobody wants to lose any more than they have to. What would you do to protect the family you have left?

This book really surprised me and I was sucked in immediately. I really attached to a lot of the characters and it's the main reason I'll be continuing this series. Nora Roberts never seems to disappoint, no matter what genre she writes. Pick this one up, you won't regret it.


"The Perfect Mother"- Aimee Molloy

Being a new mom is hard. That's often why we band together in those early months. A reason to get out of the house, to talk to someone who's going through the same things you are, who's maybe have a crises every time the baby's poop looks a little different. Meet the May Mothers. Their kids were all born within weeks of each other and they manage to meet once a week to help ease their worries. When some of the mother's maternity leaves are about to end, they agree to meet at a local bar for a few hours away from the babies. But then the unthinkable happens. A baby goes missing. And no one knows where he is.

When I first started reading this, I didn't think I was going to like it. The opening chapters just didn't really sing for me. I'm glad I stuck with it. This turned out to be one of the twistiest books I've read this year. It doesn't scream "psychological thriller" at first blush, but man, Molloy delivers! Fans of "Gone Girl" will really dig this book.


So, on top of all that, I also read "The Tale of Mrs. Westaway" which is a short prequel to "The Death of Mrs. Westaway" which I read in July. This prequel is available to Ruth Ware's book club, which you can access via her website. It was a short read, but I absolutely loved it! I had some theories and unanswered questions after reading "The Death of Mrs. Westaway" and this delivered and exceeded my expectations. 


Thanks for stopping by and checking out what I read this month. I've already got the lineup finalized for September and I'm super excited! I have a very special edition of The Bit coming soon, so watch for that! Do you have any recommendations for me? Want to tell me what you've been reading recently? Drop me a comment, I'm always around for a chat. See you soon, book nerds!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p