Skip to main content

The Book Bit: March 2023 Ed.


Hey all! The last few days have been absolutely beautiful weather for us and I'm so ready to move on from the cool temps. I have been *craving* the sunlight and am so happy we're finally getting it! Some of my bulbs are already coming up and my trees are starting to bloom - this time of year just instantly lifts my spirits. I hope it's the same for you, wherever you are. So, I was insanely busy in March, like didn't have time to breathe busy and I heavily relied on audio books this past month. I only physically read *part* of one book, the rest I listened to while doing other things that also needed doing 😂 Like I said, I was busy, but let's talk about the books I got through in March, they were excellent!


"Kill You Twice" by Chelsea Cain


This is the fifth book in the Gretchen Lowell & Archie Sheridan series and I'm so glad I read this book this month! I've been absolutely in love with this serial killer thriller series since I started it a few years ago, but last year I read the fourth book and was left disappointed. It was the first book in the series that I didn't love. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I've been hesitating picking the series back up because I was afraid Cain tanked it. This book really delivered on all of my favorite things! I'm not going to get too much into a plot discussion since it's a series book, but this had a lot of great movement from Archie (our heartbroken and traumatized detective), Gretchen (America's most iconic serial killer) and my favorite side characters of all time, Susan (a reporter) and her hippy mother, and Henry (Archie's partner who spends most of his time trying to keep Archie from going off the deep end). The gore was there, the intricacy was there, everything that Cain excels at was laced into this book. It just sang. I'm glad I didn't give up on this series. 


"The Measure" by Nikki Erlick


One morning every single person on Earth woke up to a wooden box outside their door, wherever they were that morning is where their box showed up. Inside the box was a length of string, 'the measure of your life'. In an instant, the word is turned upside down by the arrival of these boxes. Society comes together and simultaneously shreds apart at the contents of these boxes and deciphering the strings. Follow eight different, intertwined stories of eight individuals as they build and continue to live their lives after the initial wave of boxes arrive. The big question here is: would you look at your string? 

Oh, wow, this book was so much more than I was expecting! Some reviews claimed this book was a little too political, but I think it was really well done. This author wasn't afraid to reach across lines and really bring this into an accurate light and I greatly appreciated that. This is exactly how I imagine something like this happening and I appreciate Erlick for not 'taming it down'. It was beautifully done and intricately tied together. The ending had me sobbing, but I loved it anyway! Since I listened to the audio book it was easier to keep all the characters straight, but sometimes I had trouble keeping all the story lines right. If you liked "The Midnight Library" I think you would like this as well. 


"Just Like Home" by Sarah Gailey


Vera's mother is dying. And even after years of estrangement, she wants her to come home. Vera doesn't feel like she can say no, but she also isn't overjoyed about returning to her childhood home: the home of a serial killer. And when she starts cleaning out the house and getting everything ready for her mother's passing, strange notes in her father's handwriting begin showing up, notes that should no longer be in existence. And when Vera begins to dig into the strange occurrences and dodge the eccentric artist her mother lets live in the shed, she discovers the Crowder house is hiding more than she originally thought.

I was not prepared for this book! At all! I read Sarah Gailey last year ("Magic for Liars") and knew I wanted to look into more of their writing, but this book completely blew me away. Do you like serial killer thrillers? Haunted house books? Body gore horror? Childhood trauma? This has all of that. It was creepy, scary, and disgusting in the absolute best ways. Gailey nailed it with this book! By the way, the narrator for this was excellent!



That's all I read in March! I had such a busy month, but I'm so glad options like audio books are available. I'm also glad I ended up with such a good lineup this month! I loved all of these books! Do you read anything awesome in March? Are you thinking about picking up any of the books I talked about today? Do you have any recommendations for me? I would love to hear from you! Drop me a comment, like, follow, do all the things, but remember to have fun reading! I'll see you next month book nerds!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

The Book Bit: November 2021 Edition

The holiday season is officially upon us. I'm honestly not ready for the holidays, but they're here none the less. I managed to get four books read this month and did some writing. Did anyone participate in NaNoWriMo? If so, how did you do? I didn't participate this year, but I had some friends participate and they really enjoyed it. Let's get started on what I read this month.  "White Smoke" by Tiffany D. Jackson Marigold and her family move from sunny California to the Midwest after her mother remarries. But that's the least of her worries. She's now having to deal with her bratty 10 year old stepsister, the neighborhood is practically abandoned, she has no friends, and she's pretty sure the house is haunted. Yes, haunted. And all of this would be easier managed is Marigold wasn't already running from her litany of problems. But when things get personal, too real, beyond what Marigold can tell herself is coincidence, it's too late to save