Skip to main content

Maximizing Your Postpartum Hospital Stay

Ok, so this post is something I've been thinking about for a little while.  I have done the postpartum hospital dance twice now and I'm still learning how to make each time better than the last.  Of course, I have some tips and I want to include what I actually carry in my diaper bag.  So it's like a little bonus!  Aren't you so glad you decided to read this particular post?  So, let's get started.

  First off, it sort of matters if you are having a planned delivery (C-section) or if you going the vaginal route.  Either way you need to pack a bag, it just matters how much stuff you decide to bring with you.  So...

1. Pack Accordingly

  If you are having a C-section, make sure and pack going home clothes that will not bother your incision.  So, think baggy and high waisted.  Really you only need the outfit you will go home in because it's just easier to wear the hospital issue gown they give you.  Doctors and nurses will want to keep a close eye on your incision and it's best just to give them easy access.  If you are planning on a vaginal delivery, some choose to bring more than one outfit.  It's really whatever would make you most comfortable, but again, be realistic and pack seriously comfy clothes.  You won't be in your skinny jeans the day after delivery, so save yourself the tears and pack the sweats.

  For my first kid I was induced, so I brought an exercise ball with me to the hospital to help with contractions.  It helped for about five minutes and eventually I became bed ridden.  There are great tools to help ease delivery pain.  If there is a tool that really speaks to you, pack it.  Just try not to pack your entire house.  Remember they have pillows and towels at the hospital.  Try to pack light, you will already be leaving with more than you came with!

  You will only need one outfit for your kid.  I know it's tempting to pack an outfit for every day, but really it's not necessary.  They want easy access to your kiddo too, so just put them in those hospital issue onesies.  Remember when packing for your kiddo to pack an outfit that is 0-3 months.  Not all babies are born tiny and that super cute newborn outfit may not fit if your baby is upwards of nine pounds.  And while it may be tempting to pack your own diapers and wipes, don't.  The hospital provides you with all the diapers and wipes you could need during your stay.  Save your money.  Use their stuff.

2. Be Nice
 
  Even the nicest people in the world can be turned by child birth.  It is not an easy or painless experience, no matter which delivery route you choose.  The nurses that are assigned to you have an incredibly hard job already.  Just think of the amount of crap they deal with (figuratively and literally) on a regular basis.  There is no need to be extra, well, bitchy with them.  These professionals can be an incredible asset, if you choose to be as nice as you can.  I had the worlds best nurses when delivering both of my kids and I maintain that because I was as nice as I could be, they were grateful.  When I had my second child, at about two in the morning my nurse came to check on me and my daughter.  I was starving and voiced (jokingly) that I could eat an entire meal at that point.  She laughed and went about her business.  A few minutes later she came back with a sandwich, a bag of chips, two cartons of Jell-O and juice.  She gave me a little wink and went on her way.  Perks of being a nice person.  Since you are being nice, now is an excellent time to let the nurses teach you a thing or two.  Like how to swaddle your baby.  It's an art form and these people know the secret!  Learn!

  We are all very nice people in regular circumstances.  But having a baby can bring out the scary Momma Bear trapped inside.  So, just try and be pleasant.  Everyone will appreciate it.

3. Make Connections

  So, I know that meeting new people is a low priority once you have your little bundle of joy in your arms, but it's as good a time as any.  If you do not have a lactation consultant, now is a terrific time to meet with one.  Even though I knew what I was doing the second time around, I still needed help getting my daughter to nurse.  She was really not that into it.  Most hospitals have a consultant that works normal business hours in the delivery wing of the hospital.  Almost all of my night nurses were lactation certified and were able to help me when I was struggling.  Don't be a hero, get the help while help is there; and usually the consultants will have connections for you for when you leave the hospital.  It's still a good idea to check in with a consultant every now and then to help ease your mind and point you in the right direction when you're struggling.  I still see a consultant from time to time and my second kid is almost five months old.

  It's also a good time to talk to doctors about good pediatric chiropractors, primary pediatricians and any other type doctor your child might need.  Sometimes we don't always think about who our child's pediatrician will be so it's a good time to ask for recommendations and do some shopping.

4. Swag

  Been through this twice now and I still have not grasped the concept of taking everything from the hospital.  Seriously.  Take.  Everything!  Take all the ice packs, heating pads, nipple shields, cream, the diapers (for the love of God take the diapers!), take everything home that they bring into your room.  You know that Friends episode where Ross is explaining to Chandler why he takes everything from the hotels?  He says, "It's what the hotel owes you!"  Think of this stuff as what the hospital owes you.  Every single thing that passes the threshold of your doorway gets scanned and added to your bill.  And that bill gets paid by you and your insurance (which you pay for monthly).  So, you have already paid for or will be paying for everything they bring into your room.  You might as well take it home, it's already been paid for by you!  So when they are getting your discharge papers load that stuff up into your bag (remember I said you'd be leaving with more than you came with!) and enjoy the stuff.  Both times I didn't take very much from the room (admittedly I took more this last time) but the one thing I never took, and I wish I had both times, was the manual breast pump.  I always thought it was such a waste because I already had an electric one (and they're so much better *hair flip*) so why do I need this little handheld one?

  Let me tell you a story.  A few months ago my husband and I went away for twenty-four hours without either of our kids.  My daughter was only about two months old and I am still breastfeeding her.  We were flying and our flight kept getting delayed.  I packed my electric breast pump in my carry-on, but I could never find a place to plug it in.  Literally every outlet in that stupid airport was being used by people charging their phones or their iPods, or iPads or whatever the hell needed to be charged.  There was absolutely no where I could find to plug in my pump.  So I waited.  We flew.  We got a cab from the airport and went to our hotel.  I went almost eight hours without pumping when I had been pumping or nursing every two hours.  It sucked.  If I had a manual pump I could've pumped in the airport no problem.  I could've pumped on the plane!  I could've pumped in the car ride to the hotel (it took forty-five minutes!)  And now I've found myself in another predicament!  My electric pump crapped out on me and it is no longer under warranty.  Now, I don't pump very often anymore, but I needed some breast milk to start making cereal for daughter, so I went out and purchased a manual pump.  Pretty much the same manual pump they brought me in my hospital room!  I've literally already paid for this pump and here I am buying it again!  Ah!  Please, take my advice.  Leave with everything they bring you!  It's wasted money if you leave it there.

  Well, that's about all the advice I have about the hospital stay.  It's not really much, but I hope it helps even a little bit.  Now, onto our bonus section!

What I Pack In My Diaper Bag

  Choosing a diaper bag is half the battle.  For our first kid we had a backpack version we bought.  It had multiple pockets, was light and even had a side pocket specifically for wipes.  Backpacks are handy.  Recently we've been using a Vera Bradley bag that a friend purchased for me.  It's huge.  I love it.  I try and keep the bag light and organized.  It's already on the big side and I try not to be that parent that takes their entire house with them when they go out for a few hours.  So, I keep it simple.

  Pack a change of clothes for each child.  My four month old needs an entire change; if her diaper leaks everything is done.  My three year old only needs underwear, pants and socks.  If he pees his pants his shirt is probably safe.  If you leak a lot or your kid spits up all the time, consider a shirt for yourself.

  Three diapers.  I don't know why three is the magic number, but it is for me.

  A changing pad.  We got one that came with our backpack diaper bag.  It trifolds up and stores easily.  Very handy.  Absolutely none of the changing tables in public restrooms have ever had a plastic liner in the three years I have been a parent; so I see this as a necessity.

  Wipes.  Pretty standard.

  Diaper rash cream.  It's one of those things you don't want to need.  Gas drops.  A life saver in any restaurant and/or grocery store.  A burp cloth; also pretty standard.  A blanket; for those doctors appointments when they have to be naked and, you know, the apocalypse. 

  I always clip a pacifier to the car seat.  That way I don't have to remember one and I don't have to dig in the bag for another.  It's always on the car seat.

  When your kid starts eating, it gets tricky.  But you figure out what their go-to snack is and just drop a little baggy of that in there and your good to go.  If you breast feed, have a cover that only stays in your diaper bag.  If you formula feed, those self measuring travel things are amazing!  You can fit three feedings in one pre-measured contraption.

  Like I said, I try and keep it light.  I also keep the kids doctors folders in the car.  Each kid has their own file organizer and I put them under the seat.  That way we always have them with us wherever we go.  If there's an emergency, there's no remembering the file, it's already in the car.


  That's all for this post.  Hopefully this helped somebody!  It's always nice to just have a little extra info.  Remember to make the most out of your hospital stay and try not to pack your kids entire life into that diaper bag.  Most of that stuff you never need!  Thanks for stopping by, remember to repost, like, follow and subscribe!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p