Skip to main content

The Book Bit: July 2017 Ed.

  Well, well, well, this month certainly flew by in a blink!  Now, I had every intention of reading three books this month.  Even checked out three of them from the library, but let me offer a few excuses for you and you can decide which one to run with.  My four month old is going through sleep regression, I have had visitors on two separate occasions, my youngest is unsatisfied doing anything besides sitting in my lap and thinks that book pages are for consumption and I have been the worst kind of sick.  So.  There they are, believe what you will!  Now, let's take a look at what I did manage to read this month.








"After Alice"- Gregory Maguire

  This book took me forever to get through simply because it was not my favorite thing.  I would sit down to read it and literally fall asleep with it in my hands.  And I've read other works by Maguire and found it all very intriguing, so I couldn't figure out why I did not enjoy this book. Maybe I set my expectations too high?  Either way, it was not the best book I've ever read.  I did a thing and judged the book by it's title (slaps hand to head) and sort of assumed that it was a retelling of the classic "Alice in Wonderland".  You guys know how much I love retellings!  I wasn't completely wrong, but instead of it being a story of someone returning to Wonderland after Alice has already been (my original thought) it is the story of someone going to Wonderland directly behind Alice.  As in, "Go after Alice."  So we follow Ada down the rabbit hole.  You may remember Ada was briefly mentioned in Alice history and now she's finally gotten a story of her own.  Ada tromps through Wonderland searching for Alice while the world back home is searching for both of the lost girls.  The book just didn't hold much excitement for me, but I am just one reader.  Someone else may find it enjoyable.  If you want my favorite Alice retelling to date, look here.

"N0S4A2"- Joe Hill

  This book was incredible!  It was on the long side, but you really need a deep telling of this story to appreciate it.  And appreciate it I did!  Victoria McQueen has always been good at finding things.  Once she hops on her Tuff Burner and pedals through the woods behind her house, a bridge appears that can take her to anything that has been lost.  But whether the bridge is real or a figment of her imagination is something Vic will spend most of her life trying to figure out.  In a tiff with her parents, Vic decides to look for trouble using her special bridge and comes face to face with a serial killer.  She helps put him behind bars, but he isn't quite done with her.  And when calls from abducted kids start coming in that only Vic can hear, she knows that their single encounter is anything but history between them.  Joe Hill is a fantastic writer and this journey is a perfect mix of science fiction, fantasy and thriller all wrapped into one.  You do not want to miss out on reading this.

  That's all I manged to read this month.  I promise I will do better next month and squeeze in one more book.  Enjoy the summer with a good book; happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p