Skip to main content

The Book Bit: November 2018 Ed.

I am so sorry for my absence you guys. Especially if you follow me on the social medias, I have been exceptionally quiet the past two months. I'm sorry. The holiday season is in full swing, and I'm barely keeping up. Can anyone else relate? I'm feeling more overwhelmed than ever these days, and taking a break from social media and blogging seemed like the best solution for my mental health. I'm easing back into it. But, just because I haven't been posting doesn't mean I've neglected my reading! I read some particularly interesting books this month that I am so eager to share! Let's get started.


"It Happens All the Time"- Amy Hatvany

This book was so heartbreaking on multiple levels. And I've preached on this topic many times, but the rape culture in this country is astounding. I won't say we are any better than some other countries, but it's devastating all the same. As the name suggests, rape does happen all the time, and this book was particularly interesting because we got both sides of the story — rapist, and victim.

While Amber and Tyler have been lifelong friends, tension had been growing between them for years. When freshly engaged Amber moves home for the summer, Tyler knows it's his last chance to finally tell her how much he loves her. Neither of them could have predicted the turn of events that summer held. Will one fateful night be the end or the beginning of their relationship? Could one moment change your life forever?

The answer is yes. This book focuses on many facets, but the main point is the one night incident between Tyler and Amber. The lines of consent were blurred, and it's difficult to tell who was right and who was wrong. I enjoyed the double narrative, as we got both sides, but I also want to point out that I thought the ending was unrealistic. While a majority of women fall victim to men they know very well, I thought the ending was tied up a little too neatly. I don't know many men that would actively follow this path. It was an interesting read, definitely, and I always recommend people read more about rape. For some other amazing books, read my reviews here and here.


"Confessions of a Domestic Failure"- Bunmi Laditan

This book was such a joy to read. Imagine if Bridget Jones and Becky Bloomwood became one person. That would be Ashley Keller, career driven woman turned stay-at-home mother. I loved this book. It gives such a realistic picture of what staying at home potentially looks like. Though I will say, I was not as bad off as Ashley, there were so many relatable moments. And so much laughing. Seriously, if you're a mom, you will enjoy this book.

Ashley Keller always thought she would be a perfect mother. A mother who would dazzle her fellow mom friends with made from scratch treats and beautiful homemade clothing for her daughter. Instead, Ashley spends most days dodging the looming laundry piles, eating peanut butter straight from the jar, and remembering to shop once a month. While her husband struggles to run his new business, Ashley struggles with motherhood. She loves her daughter more than life itself, but how did she end up here? Was it this hard for everyone? Follow Ashley as she navigates motherhood and accepts a challenge to become the mom she always wanted to be.

Seriously, you will never laugh so hard. Trust me.


"Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail"- Cheryl Strayed

This was the book club selection for this month, and I could not be more excited! I read this book over two years ago (before I even started my blog!) and fell in love. This is a book every woman should read in their lifetime.

After the death of her mother, young Cheryl struggles to hold her life together. When she decides she needs a change, she goes big. Like, sell all your belongings, buy a massive hiking backpack, brand new boots, a map, and head into the wilderness big. And that's precisely what she did. She decided to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, California to Washington. And what an adventure it is. The title is an excellent representation of this book. "From Lost to Found," there is no better way to put it. Cheryl finds herself on that trail. She makes friends she would never ordinarily meet and battles the demons she carried around for too long. I didn't know this was a non-fiction book until I was almost halfway through, it reads like fiction. And if you've ever lost anyone in your life and wondered how you would go on, you will relate. I think anyone can find something to relate to in Cheryl's story. I implore everyone to read it.

Full disclosure, it will get you itching to travel. This book is the reason I started hiking and make family camping trips a requirement.


This was such an awesome book month, you guys! I didn't struggle in the slightest to finish these, I gobbled them up eagerly (no pun intended there). Hope you all read some excellent books this month. Do you have any suggestions for me? I'd love to hear what you're reading! Like, follow, and subscribe. Happy reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

Why I Started (and Continue) Blogging

I have had my blog for two years now. I still can't believe it's been that long. Two years ago I decided to get online and start writing, and two years later I'm still here, still writing. Let me start by saying, I never got into blogging to make money, and I haven't made any money off blogging. I started blogging because I felt like I had something to offer the world. I felt like I had something to say. I blog about everything that matters to me, books, my kids, being a mom, being a wife, my lifestyle choices, whatever I feel like writing. Here are some top reasons why I started blogging and still keep at it. 1. I Have Something to Share I am a mother, a college educated woman, my family is not traditional, I move a lot because staying in one place can seem claustrophobic, I married young, I stay at home with my kids, I have dreams and ambitions like everyone else on this planet. And like everyone else, I feel like I have something to share. My blog is a perfect p