Skip to main content

How I Avoid Writer's Block

Hey, guys! So, some of you may know that I'm currently in the midst of editing (first round) my novel that I'm going to publish independently. Yes, I do more than write quippy blog posts about being a mom and other facts about my fantastic life. In fact, I have a few finished manuscripts (that I haven't looked at in a long time, they probably suck) and I'm working on a new one even though I'm not done editing my book yet. And, to answer your question, yes, most writers are like this. It's just what happens.

Anyway. Now that you know a bit about what I do besides blogging (which also involves sitting in front of a computer for an obscene amount of hours per week), I think we should have a little talk about writer's block. I know, I'm not a published author, do I really know what I'm talking about? I think so. Any writer, whether published or not, reaches a point when the words are no longer flying out like doves at a wedding. Right? Well, that's what we're going to deal with today.


Myths and Theories

So, I'm going to tell you something that probably no one has ever mentioned to you before. I don't think writer's block exists. *Gasp!

I know. To be cliché, I think it's all in your head. Seriously. I don't think I've ever experienced writer's block in the sense that I cannot produce anything on the page. When I sit down to write, something always comes out. Is it good? Hardly ever, but something ends up on that page. Then I can go back and make it better until it really shines. I think the main culprit of "writer's block" is overexposure. Yes, writing too much.

I think that when you push yourself to write "x-amount" of words per day (or whatever) you put this weight into your head. You will not be successful until you produce those words. Over-exposure could also mean that you spend hours every day doing nothing more than writing that same story. Writing is great, don't get me wrong, but I find I only get stuck when I'm not giving myself enough space. You need distance from your writing now and then to gain perspective, to see where the story is going, or to decide that you need to make a significant change.


My Suggestions

First, figure out what's causing the block. Are you hung up on one specific scene, but the next is bursting to get out? Write the scene and come back. You don't have to do everything in order. Usually, when I finish the scene that's stuck in my head, a lot of doors suddenly open up in the writing. Things will start to make sense for me. Don't beat yourself up over a connecting scene. Move one. It will all get in there one way or another.

I find that keeping a writing schedule is extremely helpful. I have kids (as some of you know) so I'm limited on quiet time in my house. Usually, I write during nap time, get up painfully early, or stay up way too late. This works for me. But I'm not just talking about the time of day that I write. I literally have a schedule that I follow every day so that I'm not working on the same project day after day after day. It gives me that creative space that I need to get my head right. This is why I don't worry about writer's block, because every day I'm working on something else. It keeps my mind moving, constantly. And it also compartmentalizes each project.

Are there exceptions? Always. I took two weeks off my schedule and just worked on a new manuscript. I was bursting with a new idea and wanted to know where it would go. So I spent two weeks just working on that. That was almost a month ago, and I haven't gone back to it. Seriously. I pumped so much time and effort into that piece. I lived and breathed it, and I overdid it. Honestly, I spent too much time on it, my other projects suffered, I had to play catch-up for almost a week, and I have no desire to look at it. If I had paced myself and stuck to my schedule, I might still be working on it and getting somewhere, but right now it's been put on a back burner.

While I do think "being inspired" is excellent (it's the best feeling) it really did mess up everything else. I've been struggling to get back on track since I took those weeks off. Do I regret it? Eh. I got some new words down, but as I said, I haven't been able to return to it because my workload piled up in my neglect.


What's This Schedule You Speak Of?


Glad you asked. I wanted to share with you guys my writing schedule. Remember, I usually use nap time (approximately two solid hours) as my dedicated "work time." So I roughly spend two hours a day dealing with writing stuff. On good days I stay up crazy late and work until two or three in the morning. But I think two straight hours of work is an excellent place to start.

Monday: Blog Day
This is the day I always put out a new blog post. Hey, it's still writing. And any form of writing is good writing in my book.

Tuesday: Writer Share
If you are not part of a writer's share organization, please stop reading this and join one. Seriously. It will change your writing, and you will make countless connections. I spend two hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays looking at other writer's work and helping them better it. Then, they look at mine. Writer sharing will change the way you look at your writing. I promise.

Wednesday: Free Write or Edit
Right now I am stuck in the editing phase. I was twelve chapters behind in my editing! Yikes! This is the first week I've been caught up, so I plan on returning to that piece I started on Wednesday. Editing is a big part of writing. And, honestly, I'm glad I got behind on my editing. My writing has improved a lot this year. And I'm able to look at my book with a more critical eye because I understand more than I did before. So, I made massive changes. Changes I didn't think were necessary before, but I know they are now. I attribute that to the writer sharing, too. But, seriously, getting space is good.

Thursday: Writer Share
Hey, the more you work for them, the more they work for you. That's why it's called sharing. And seeing other people's work will help you fine comb yours. It's like going to the gym for your brain. Trust me.

Friday: Free Write or Edit
I know getting one day away from your writing doesn't seem like a lot, but it is. And sometimes I have to spend all week editing, so it's like I haven't seen my writing in five days. That's a lifetime in writer years!

Saturday: Free Write
An entire day for just writing. Guilt-free writing!

Sunday: Rest
Trust me. Your brain needs it. I usually read on Sundays. ;)


Well, that's it! That is what I think of writer's block and how I avoid it. Did this help? I hope it did. If you guys have any thoughts, questions, or suggestions feel free to leave me a comment or reach out to one of my social media accounts. I'm on them all the time, so I'll get back to your quick. Thanks for stopping by!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

The Book Bit: November 2021 Edition

The holiday season is officially upon us. I'm honestly not ready for the holidays, but they're here none the less. I managed to get four books read this month and did some writing. Did anyone participate in NaNoWriMo? If so, how did you do? I didn't participate this year, but I had some friends participate and they really enjoyed it. Let's get started on what I read this month.  "White Smoke" by Tiffany D. Jackson Marigold and her family move from sunny California to the Midwest after her mother remarries. But that's the least of her worries. She's now having to deal with her bratty 10 year old stepsister, the neighborhood is practically abandoned, she has no friends, and she's pretty sure the house is haunted. Yes, haunted. And all of this would be easier managed is Marigold wasn't already running from her litany of problems. But when things get personal, too real, beyond what Marigold can tell herself is coincidence, it's too late to save