Skip to main content

The Book Bit: August 2018 Ed.

Summer is gone, guys. Like, over! Can you believe that!? While I'm ready for fall (because hel-lo! Fall!) I'm a little bummed the summer is already over. My kid started school this year, which pulled pretty tight on my heartstrings and the semi-carefree life I've been leading the last few years. Our schedule is officially like every else's now. *sigh*

Moving on. Did you guys have any good beach reads this summer to share with me? You know I'm always looking for recommendations, so if you have them, send them my way! I put away three books this month, and I had mixed feelings about two of them. The winner came by default, you'll understand soon enough. Let's get started.


"Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas"- James Patterson

To be clear, I enjoy James Patterson. He writes fantastic books, really. But this book, to me, proves that once you write enough best sellers and establish a strong fan base, you can pop out a terrible book and people will simply devour it because you wrote it. I could not believe the reviews for this book because I honestly did not like it. And the majority of the reviews were extremely positive! There were only a few brave ones, like me, saying they thought it was trash. And you all know I hardly ever say that, but I have to say it! I kept holding out for a huge plot twist (he left an opening the size of Texas), and he did not deliver. At all. And I've read other romance novels by Patterson, a favorite is here, so I'm not just upset it's out of his typical genre. I'll give you the wrap-up because I know I should, but I needed to get off my chest that I was disappointed. Greatly disappointed.

Katie has found the perfect man, finally!, after all the years of searching while focusing on her career. But just as she's about to take a huge step forward in their relationship, he dumps her, leaving a strange diary behind as an explanation. As Katie dives into the journal, she finds herself in a love story between her lover and his wife.

The diary, written by Suzanne, is an open letter to her son, the second great love of her life. In its pages, she tells her child the greatest love story ever told, and it just happens to be true.

As Katie reads on, she knows something unsettling is coming. While she hopes her lover has been truthful that he is no longer married, she cannot help getting attached to both Suzanne and her child. Dread pools in her heart as she forces herself to read every last page.

It paints a pretty picture. And there was a twist at the end, but not nearly big enough to make up for all the sappy cliché bs that came before it. I love romance. I do, but it needs to be semi-realistic, and I'm sorry to say that this was not. I hate giving negative reviews, but I cannot believe how unhappy I was with this book! It, honestly, shocked me.


"Cress"- Marissa Meyer

On a better note, we have this book. It's book three in the Lunar Chronicles series. You can find the review for book two here.

I really dig this series. Each book is based on one of our favorite childhood fairytale characters. We started with Cinder (Cinderella) who is a cyborg. As Cinder discovers more about her past, she understands how important her role in the future of the planet truly is. Forced (practically) to become a fugitive and rebel, she's on a mission to save her home planet from her Lunar-blood relatives. The action never stops, and the characters are fantastic. Set in a stark future where a disease is prominent and a war on brink you cannot help being sucked into this story. Each book adds a new character to the story. Book two stars Scarlet (Little Red Riding Hood) and she comes with a wolf! *swoon* Book three brings us Cress (Rapunzel) who is maybe a little naïve and romantic, but she owns it.

Read this series. It's written for every age, but 90's ladies (like myself) will love this. Trust me.


"Are You Sleeping"- Kathleen Barber

This was the book club selection this month, and it was a page-turner. I'm starting to think our little book club has a bit of a fetish with thrillers. That's all we seem to read, but we all love it! This book had a lot of potential, but it lacked the ending I wanted. And remember, I was coming off the Patterson disappointed, so I really wanted this book to deliver.

Josie Buhrman has spent a lot of time creating her new life. A life that no longer includes her family. Specifically her mother, twin sister, and murdered father. She's moved on. Or has she? When a podcast comes out, refocusing the world's attention on her father's murder, her world begins to unravel. Not long after the podcast gains ground, and millions of followers, a family tragedy calls her home. Back to where everything happened and back into the crazy family she desperately tried to leave behind.

Follow Josie as the podcast continues and she begins to question everything that happened the night her father was murdered. What is truth and what is lies? Decide for yourself.

This book had an exciting premise because you hear about things like this happening more and more. Cold cases are continually getting looked at and solved. It's a thing now. But, this was not a cold case. The case was closed, and a young man charged with the murder, that's what makes it interesting. We're examining an open and shut case with fresh eyes, and we're getting a close look at Josie's crazy little family. It was a good book, but I wanted more from the ending. I'll just leave it at that!


Thanks for having a look, guys! Sorry, I railed on Patterson for a minute. Send me recommendations! I want to know what you guys are reading! And, I'm already prepping for October. It's going to be great, trust me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Bit: March 2020 Ed.

What a month this has been, am I right? I hope everyone is staying safe and being cautious, but I mostly hope that all of you are in excellent health. For those of us stuck at home until further notice, it can mean tons of time for extra reading! Well, my kids cut in on my reading time frequently, but I still managed to read three excellent books this month. "Lone Wolf"- Jodi Picoult You all know how much I love Jodi Picoult, so whenever I find myself in a slump I look into her collection and find one I haven't read. It'll be a sad day when I finally manage to read all of them. Do you guys have a go-to author? This book was nothing short of heart-wrenching, loving, beautiful, and tragic.  Luke Warren has spent his life with the wolves. He runs a sanctuary, is a member of the pack, and even spent an entire year in the wild living within a wolf pack. His extended relationship with his pack led to familial disaster. His wife divorced him and his son moved to Thail

The Book Bit: March 2018 Ed.

I don't know about you guys, but the weather this month has been nothing short of depressing. And cold. Growing up in Oklahoma, I figured I had ample experience with weather roulette, but Nebraska (did I mention we moved to Nebraska?!) has a whole other thing going on. The weather here is bananas. It's cold, rainy, snowing, windy, then maybe it will be sunny, for like, an hour. Possibly. I don't feel like I'm asking for much over here! I just want to take the kids to the park (they are driving me nuts!) or be able to sit on the front porch and read a book, you know, regular things one could do in the SPRINGTIME! *deep breath* Moving on. This month has been crazy busy for us because moving never takes just a few days of your time, but I put away two exceptional books. Both of which are the first books of their series. I know! As if I don't already have at least ten series going right now, but I'm a sucker for them. And, in my defense, one of them was a book clu

The Book Bit: November 2021 Edition

The holiday season is officially upon us. I'm honestly not ready for the holidays, but they're here none the less. I managed to get four books read this month and did some writing. Did anyone participate in NaNoWriMo? If so, how did you do? I didn't participate this year, but I had some friends participate and they really enjoyed it. Let's get started on what I read this month.  "White Smoke" by Tiffany D. Jackson Marigold and her family move from sunny California to the Midwest after her mother remarries. But that's the least of her worries. She's now having to deal with her bratty 10 year old stepsister, the neighborhood is practically abandoned, she has no friends, and she's pretty sure the house is haunted. Yes, haunted. And all of this would be easier managed is Marigold wasn't already running from her litany of problems. But when things get personal, too real, beyond what Marigold can tell herself is coincidence, it's too late to save